30 August 2011

Manhattan (1979)

(Traveling through the films of Woody Allen)
Title: Manhattan
Release Date: 25 April 1979

Directed by: Woody Allen
Starring: Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Mariel Hemingway, Meryl Streep
IMDB: 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079522/
My Rating: (7/10) ★★★★★



Thought this film was delightful and appreciated the true mature sensibility present in Woody's acting. Here he plays Isaac, a 42 year old man dating a 17 year old (played by Mariel Hemingway). At first, I thought Mariel Hemingway was dreadful but she soon grew on me as the youngest person in Isaac's circle and the only voice of reason. Diane Keaton shines again, as does Meryl Streep who plays a lesbian, over-the-shoulder-hair enthusiast. Obviously a love poem about NYC, perhaps it did not pack quite the emotional punch I was expecting post-Interiors and Annie Hall. Delightful, but ultimately not one of my favorites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment