18 September 2009

Zero Point: A Definition of Terms

Hello!

My name is Efrain Schunior. Today is my birthday and I have decided to take a tour through cinematic history by watching every movie ever made! In Chronological Order! I officially started earlier this month so I have a bit of catching up to do here. But first lets start with a definition of terms shall we...

Every Movie Ever Made:
NOT every movie ever made. Obviously that would be impossible (thus, the all too clever blog title--also a reference to one of my favorite films by legendary director and soul mate Georges Melies). Not to mention that in the first few years of cinema there was an astounding amount of film produced, I'm talking thousands! So to be clear, how should I define the term Every Movie Ever Made? Well, If I can get my hands on it and it sheds new light on a genre, artist, or era I will watch it. Simple as that. That gives me a lot of leeway and freedom I realize, which will help us go through history in a smooth & efficient manner. But I will watch as much as I can; from the biggest influential blockbusters to the smallest forgotten art house film. I will try not to discriminate.

In Chronological Order:
NOT in chronological order necessarily, but in rough chronological order! as much as I can manage. I will do my best but sometimes it may be better to pair two films from different eras or I'm sure I'll discover a film that I want to watch from a decade I've moved on from. Or I may actually go to a movie that is currently showing in theaters, and it may find its way onto this blog. Though I prefer loose definitions, I'm a linear sort of person and my Virgo mind craves chronology. So yes this blog is based on a lie, but hey that's marketing!

Guidelines:
1. For the sake of my life and not wanting to drown in the impossibility of the task at hand, I will spend no more than 2 weeks immersed in any given year. Unless of course it's a really great year!
2. I will not blog about everything. I will most definitely keep a comprehensive list of everything that I see while I am on this journey, but I'll save the blogs for the films that make the greatest impressions on me.
3. I will not watch The Next Best Thing based on principal.

So there it is! This is my balloon trip to the sun.
Will I survive? Will I give up before I reach the talkies? Will I finally watch The Sound of Music? Will I sleep through some of cinema's greatest achievements? Only time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment