05 February 2012

Haywire (2012)


Title: Haywire
Release Date: 20 January 2012
Directed by: Steven Soderbergh
Starring: Gina Carano, Ewan McGregor, Antonia Banderas, Michael Fassbender
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1506999/
My Rating: (5/10) ★★★★★✩✩✩✩✩

Maybe I wanted to hate it the moment I found out they digitally altered Gina Carano's voice to be lower because they wanted the actress to have more depth. Or maybe I wanted to hate it because it was the biggest waste of an all-star male cast since The Departed (if Michael Douglas had more than two lines I didn't hear them). But if you can overlook the fact that the lead character sounds like she's speaking in a vacuum the whole time (which does NOTHING for immersion), or the fact that Ewan McGregor bears a striking resemblance to Kiefer Sutherland, then you'll be pretty entertained with a few of the ass-kicking sequences...even though the film was a poor man's SALT in terms of production value. I do regard it as also a rich man's SALT in the fact that I didn't have to sit through two hours of Angelina Jolie. And you know this script went to her first. Maybe then I would have paid more attention to Michael Douglas.

No comments:

Post a Comment