05 February 2012

The Woman in Black (2012)


Title: The Woman in Black
Release Date: 3 February 2012
Directed by: James Watkins
Starring: Daniel Radcliffe, Janet McTeer
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1596365/
My Rating: (5/10) ★★★★★✩✩✩✩✩

It's a curious situation to be completely on edge during a film in which absolutely nothing is happening. Sometimes the mark of a good director, if discussed in terms of his ability to build tension out of thin air. But in this case, where nothing was happening in terms of plot and character development, I can't help but cast the blame on the frequent jump cuts for exposing that nothing was actually happening while casting a furrowed brow at the man at the helm. So James Watkins, consider this my personal correspondence. In your next film, I hope you steer clear of the jump cut + loud clang method of scaring an audience. You've used up all your freebies for years to come. May your next effort rely on a subtler, more psychological approach. I bet you'd be good at it, as there were hints throughout this film. But too much is too much and the next film you direct I'm bringing ear muffs just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment