09 January 2012

Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)

Title: Hannah and Her Sisters
Release Date: 07 February 1986
Directed by: Woody Allen
Starring: Mia Farrow, Barbara Hershey, Dianne Wiest, Michael Caine
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091167/
My Rating: (6/10) ★★★★★★✩✩✩✩


"For all my education, accomplishments and so-called wisdom, I can't fathom my own heart."

My favorite Woody Allen film thus far has been Interiors. That stunning tale of three sisters naturally had me excited to revisit the dynamic of three with this film. Needless to say, knowing very little about the plot I was looking forward to this one. Unfortunately, the comedy felt forced and it didn't quite land for me. Narration is always a tricky beast, and here I think it's a little too on-the-nose and meant to spoon feed the audience. Additionally, the characters are each so self absorbed they bordered on caricature and I found it difficult to watch each of these caricatures attempt to have meaningful dialogue with other caricatures. Which is ultimately a shame because, for all the bravado and neurosis, there are a few great moments here--namely the argument between Hannah's parents and also Mia Farrow's interaction with her own real-life mother Maureen O'Sullivan.

No comments:

Post a Comment